Candied Orange Zest
- 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- additional sugar for dredging zest strips
- Wash oranges thoroughly. Carefully trim zest (orange outer layer of peel) in wide strips using a small knife or vegetable peeler. If zest strips have any pith (the bitter white layer of the peel) on them, carefully cut or scrape the pith off with a small knife. Cut zest strips lengthwise into thin julienne (long) strips.
- Place zest strips in a small sauce pan and cover with cold water. Cook over medium heat until water comes to a simmer. Simmer for 6 minutes.
- Drain strips and then return to the sauce pan and add 1/3 cup of water and 1/3 cup of sugar. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook over low heat for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, until strips turn translucent and the sugar and water begin to thicken.
- Remove from the heat, and using a fork, take the strips from the sauce pan and place on a sheet of wax paper. Separate and spread out the strips on the wax paper and allow to cool slightly. Then roll the strips in sugar until well coated and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
I remembered doing this in School but couldn't remember exactly how to do it. Luckily I found this recipe! I like to use this as a garnish on the Island Pork Tenderloin or just eat it as candy!