Saturday, September 1, 2012

What is a Level 3 Chef?


In 2010, I graduated from Utah Valley University with a degree in Culinary Arts! I had a Chef who would always tell us to strive to be a "Level 3 Chef" When we asked what that meant he brought us this definition.

If you are a Level 3 Chef you:
  • Have hospitality soul
  • Are in the "Happy Business"
  • Oooooz Love
  • Have a service personality and a want to "Do Good"
  • Have the Buzz
  • Give social enthusiasm
  • Call people by name
  • Generate "the Glow"
  • Put others comfort before my own
  • Please others and have the "attitude of service"
  • Never complain, but are anxiously engaged
 Chef Todd Leonard

Now I know some of these probably don't make much sense but, if any of you know what it is like to work in a restaurant kitchen during the dinner rush....it is pretty hard to "Ooooz Love" or Generate any kind of "Glow", except for maybe the sweat on your face! One of my favorite Disney movies is Ratatouille. It's when Linguini begins working in the kitchen and is slowly cutting up vegetables...
Colette: What are you doing?
Linguini: [stammering] Uh, I'm cutting vegetables. I'm cutting the... vegetables?
Colette: No! You waste energy and time! You think cooking is a cute job, eh? Like Mommy in the kitchen? Well, Mommy never had to face the dinner rush when the orders come flooding in, and every dish is different and none are simple, and all of the different cooking times, but must arrive at the customer's table at exactly the same time, hot and perfect! Every second counts, and you CANNOT be MOMMY! 

Well, I am now Mommy and cooking in the kitchen is definitly a different atmosphere...one that I completely love and wouldn't change for anything! I believe these Level 3 Chef attribute are still great things to strive for in everyday life. I love cooking and want to inspire others to also. I hope you will enjoy these recipes and tips and come to love "The Level 3 Chef" 

No comments:

Post a Comment